On 14 November 1412, Gilbert Grierson of Lag the younger, married Isobel, daughter and heiress of Sir Duncan Kirkpatrick of Torthorwald. Isobel brought the lands of Rocail [Rockhall] and Collin to the marriage and these lands remained in the family until 1951 when Rockhall was sold by Sir Robert Grierson, 10th Bt. The current Rockhall mansion is believed to have been rebuilt by Sir William Grierson in the early 1600′s.
The old tower of Rockhall is popularly believed to have been built in the twelfth or thirteenth century. Of this there is no authentic evidence; and the belief itself is probably due to the immense thickness of the walls, the contracted stair-case, and the low and narrow passages and doorways conducting into lofty chambers. It is more likely however that the more ancient portion of the building dates no farther back than the fifteenth century.
The woodwork indeed has more recent character about it, identifying it with the time of Queen Anne. It seems then to have been an oblong building running west and east, with a circular staircase projecting in the shape of a tower on the south elevation and between the centre and the west end.The principal entrance was in the basement of this tower. Subsequently a considerable addition was made by building a wing extending south on the east end of the southern front, the edifice thus assuming the form of a tradesman’s square, with the tower embedded in the inside angle.
Over the entrance here there was an antique porch. The passages and staircase were hardly three feet wide – admirably fitted for purposes of defence in times of violence, but inconsistent with the domestic arrangements of quieter times and a more refined luxuriant society.
Tags: 1st Baronet of Lag, Dumfries, Gilbert Grierson, Grierson of Lag, Lady Henrietta Douglas, Mousewald churchyard, Mouswald, Mouswald churchyard, Rocall, Rockhall, Sir Alexander Grierson, Sir Robert Grierson, Sir Robert Grierson 5th Baronet of Lag, Sir William Grierson