Family Research »

February 2, 2013 – 3:17 pm | Comments Off

… four Grierson families all have documented connections to SW Scotland, with a span of 150 – 350 years according to the various records. One representative is located in the USA, two are in England, one is in Australia. None have a direct family legend of descent from the Lag family, although one has a connecting historical claim.

Read the full story »
Hoc Securior

Articles and views from the name Grierson

Grierson people

Grierson people past and present. Famous and infamous, ordinary and extra ordinary.

Grierson archives

Archive cuttings on all things Grierson

Family Research

Posts and resources for family research

Castles and houses

On the Lag trail with some of the homes of the Griersons of Lag, plus many other interesting places.

Home » Archive by Tags

Articles tagged with: Sir Robert Grierson 5th Baronet of Lag

Sir Robert Grierson, 5th Bart – Obituary, The Gentleman, October 1839

March 21, 2012 – 5:06 pm |

He was thus much of a military man drew half pay, as has been stated, for more than twice the average term of human life, and was the oldest officer in the service a good many years previous to his death…

Sir Robert Grierson, 5th Baronet of Lag (b. 1733- d.1839)

November 16, 2010 – 5:48 pm |

The procession, consisting of 150 pedestrians, about 30 carriages, and a good many horsemen, covered half a mile of road, and was witnessed by hundreds on its passage. Matrons and maids, grandsires and children, were seen stationed on sunny knolls – the old to obtain a last lingering look of the remains of one they had respected so long and see so often…

Rockhall

July 23, 2010 – 11:26 am |

On 14 November 1412, Gilbert Grierson of Lag the younger, married Isobel, daughter and heiress of Sir Duncan Kirkpatrick of Torthorwald. Isobel brought the lands of Rocail [Rockhall] and Collin to the marriage and these lands remained in the family until 1951 when Rockhall was sold by Sir Robert Grierson, 10th Bt. The current Rockhall mansion is believed to have been rebuilt by Sir William Grierson in the early 1600′s.